What do you do if your Hot Plug Indicator turns RED...
- Switch off the socket and/or unplug and remove the plug/adaptor from the socket and carry out a visual inspection of the equipment.
Visually check the plug/adaptor/socket are not damaged as follows;
- Visibly check that cables and leads are in good condition.
- Visibly check if any parts of the plug/adaptor are loose.
- Look for cracks or damage on the plug/adaptor casing.
- Look for signs of overheating, such as discoloured casings or cable.
- Check if there is any blackness or scorch marks around the plug/adaptor/socket.
- Check if there is any melted plastic on plug/adaptor/socket casings.
- Check that the plug meets British Standard BS 1363 – it will be marked on the back.
- Check that the plug cable is firmly clamped into the plug and no coloured plug wires are showing.
- Check that the plug/adaptor/socket is not overloaded
If any of these points are apparent do not continue to use and contact a competent electrician for advice and further inspection.
If all visual checks are ok and the plug/adaptor/socket are safe to use, it is recommended that you do not leave the plug/adaptor/socket unattended when in use. Replace the hot plug indicator for new and be vigilant when using the plug/adaptor/socket. Always remember to switch off your electrical items when they are not in use.